Check out these local affordable housing facts.
State of Housing in Santa Fe – Quick Facts
- Extremely low rental vacancy rates (<2%) are driving a rapid escalation in rent costs.
- There has been a 46% increase in market rate rents between 2014-2019
- 53% (25,810 individuals) of the workforce commutes into Santa Fe.
- 72% of in-commuters left the Santa Fe workforce due to high cost of housing.
- 86% of renter families making less than $50k/year are cost burdened (up from 73%)
- There is growing outside pressure on the local homeownership market
- There is an inadequate amount of land zoned at densities high enough to support affordable housing development
Here is what we can achieve with the power of community support:
Dedicated Housing Funding
- We need to encourage City Leadership to commit to identifying & securing new local sources to fund the Santa Fe Affordable Housing Trust Fund.
- Commonsense Regulatory Changes
- This will help ease the demand issue, while also benefiting income-restricted affordable housing.
- Pro-housing Advocacy
- Our communities must continue to advocate for affordable housing development in Santa Fe.
Did you learn something interesting about the affordable housing issue? Share with a friend!